Stories and Poems

Owner of My Soul Preview #1 (Book Preview)

I've been writing for over a decade now....I can proudly say that with nothin to really show for I have books published on lulu.com, but it's not enough if no one knows about it. So why not do a lil marketing on my blogs.

Owner of My Soul is a story that was created based on characters that my brother and I created when we were kids. When I started writing, I decided to use those characters and turn it into a series. The very first book was written when I was really young and took several years to finish. In fact, I started my 2nd one before that one was finished....wait, I actually think I started the 3rd one as well before I finished the 1st one.... face it, I tend to have several ideas at once that don't fit in the timeline so before I forget it, I go wit it in a new story. Anyway, what I'm saying is I've gotten away from writing the past year but will start getting back into it. I want to get everyone's support. I'm not the most talented writer, but I have a style that I won't change and I think will be appreciated.

To show what I mean, I want to include a page or so from my book to give a sample of my beginnings. Throughout the series, you'll notice the growth in my writing as well as the growth of my characters. But to start things out, we go to the beginnings. So, without delay, I present a sample of Owner of My Soul I:



“K, I gotta hand it to you,” C-Lo began, “dat partay last night was off da grid map, fa real.”
“Aye, just bring yo own bitches and er’body is happy.” I replied inducing laughs from everyone.
“Speakin of which, who was ol’gurl you was wit, Will?” DT asked.
“That is a good question.” He looked as if he was thinking about it. “I have no clue. I’m dead serious, I really can’t remember.” He replied. We all laughed.
“You beat?” Frost asked.
“Get his neck!” C-Lo said. Jodie smacked the back of Frost’s neck. “Come on now, son, askin Kenny or Will if they beat is like askin someone did they breathe today.”
“True, true.” Will said.
“Ri, ri.” I said, meaning, right, right for all of you that don’t know. “Aye, I gotta find Lisa, we’ll holla at y’all boys, lata.”
I gave er’body dap except Will, whom was comin wit me. This particular high school was the largest in the country. It was easily the size of a university and had among the best teachers to grace the education field. Graduating from this high school would propel you into any college as a sophomore or a junior if you took advanced classes. All the popular students hung out in front of the main building until homeroom began. We approached the front of the school when we found those in which we seek, but were ovasteppin boundaries.
“Well, well, well, if it isn’t my sista Lisa and cousin Brittany.” I said. They gave us da ill face. We then locked eyes wit da guys day were wit.
“Who you be?” Will asked the guy next to Brittany.
Brittany looked at him, then back at Will. She swung her hair behind her ear in both nervousness and embarrassment. She and Lisa both knew that they were in the wrong.
“Will, Kenny, this is my boyfriend Ronald.” She answered for him.
“And my boyfriend Tim.” Lisa said, knowing we were goin to ask her next.
“How long has dis been goin on?” Will asked.
“Nun ya business.” Brittany responded.
I smiled, “Lisa, how long dis been goin on?” I asked her calmly.
Lisa doesn’t have the testicular fortitude to lie or withhold information from me. She knows I don’t tolerate that and I’ve done too much for her. She swallowed hard and answered.
“3 months.” She said. I raised my left eyebrow Will raised his right.
“You tryin to tell me dat dis been goin on fo 3 months and I’m just getting wind of it?” She nodded. Will tapped my shoulder.
“Aye, we gotta get to homeroom.” He suggested. I nodded.
“We’ll hash this out lata. Believe that!”
I turned around and followed Will. My homeroom was one room down from his. I gave him dap and went into my room, making it two seconds befo da bell rang. The desks had assigned names and graphical pictures imprinted on them. I sat in my desk and logged in to class.
“Right on time.” Gina said to me.
Her desk is right next to mine. Her last name is Jones, so she’s been in my homeroom every year. Gina is a female that has wanted me like mosquitos want blood. Don’t get me wrong, she’s sexy, about 5’7”, nicely thick with a bangin body. The thing is, she has a long track record of STDs. I haven’t gotten one yet and I have a long list of experience. I do want to keep it that way, ya dig?
“I should say so.” I said to her.
“You look good today.” She said to me.
“Thank you, so do I.” I said, smiling.
“Don’t you mean so do I?” She asked.
“What did I say?”
“So do you.”
“Oh, then I said it right.”
“You’re so conceited.”
“I have every reason to be.”
I’m not really this conceited. I just make it known that I have no interest in her. I winked at her and turned towards the teacher as she was walking in.
“What did you get on your final report card?” Gina asked me.
“Same thing I always get.” I replied, looking at my class options.
“You telling me, you still have a 4.0?”
“That’s exactly what I’m telling you. I’ve neva got anything less then a 100 since kindergarten.” I told her.
“How do you keep a 4.0 and still have a thug status?” She asked.
“That’s a question that is both irrelevant and pointless. I seriously neva really thought about it.”
Our homeroom teacher sent electronic schedules to our palm pilots. We’re all issued them upon enrollment. You pick the classes you want and if it’s available, you’ll get it. Your homeroom teachers let you know by giving you an official schedule. I had all honors except 3rd period, which was P.E. I wanted electrical engineering, but I guess it’s next semester.
I smiled at my schedule, “Well, at least I’ll stay in shape.”
“What otha classes you got?”
“Advanced Calculus, Advanced Physics Honors AP, and Advanced Computer Engineering.”
“Your physics class is the only thing I qualify for. I thought about taking it.”
“Yea, I should of took it last year.”
The bell rang and it was time to go to 1st period. When I got up in dare, I saw C-Lo, Will, and DT. The class was Advanced Calculus. Yes, we’re all very good in math. It’s not too often we’re in the same class. This wasn’t good behavior-wise.
“Awww, hell, if we in da same class, day mine as well put our desks outside.” Will stated.
“You aint lyin. We all know Chris don’t know how to shut up.” I said.
“Ha ha ha, aren’t you da comedian.” He replied. Laughing, I looked towards the door and had my eyes drawn to a woman I’ve neva seen before. “Aye, you seen her befo?” C-Lo asked.
“Nah.” Will answered. DT shook his head.
“Hands off, gentlemen, I got dibbs.” I said.
“Don’t want her now.” Will said.
“Yea, who wants your leftovas.” C-Lo said.
“You da last one to talk. You cut Tina afta me.” I reminded him.
“I didn’t know.” He proclaimed.
“Yea you did, because I told you.” Will added.
“I was dare too.” DT said.
“What is this, er’body gang up on Chris?”
“Aye, don’t start shit wit half truths.” Will said.
“Or no truths at all.” I added, still lookin at the mystery woman.
She had on a jersey skirt and what makes me so surprised is the fact it is my jersey. Her hair was long, like Aaliyah, and she looked a lot like Monica, but way sexier (not sayin Monica ain’t sexy because we all know she da shit). She was thick in all da right places. Her body was straight bangin.
“Class, please take your seats.” Ms. Tickle requested. “Today is the first day of the last year of high school for y’all.” Everyone started to cheer except the four of us. We barked as loud as possible. “Alright, alright, everyone calm down.” She said.
“How was your summer, Ms. Tickle? You still goin strong in your quest for no sex?” I asked her, callin her out.
The whole class laughed, even her. Before you think I be all up in her business, she used to talk about sex all last year. She’s coo as hell. She’s 35, about 5’8”, slim, divorced and has two kids. She’s been divorced for 9 years. She personally knows my father and was highly recommended by him for this job. I’ve known her for years though. She’s constantly trying to get the bad boy image out of me. Sad but true.
“Okay, settle down everyone. For your information, Mr. Johnson, I’ve gotten engaged over the summer.” The class gave her a hand. “And the sex is definitely more then I need in a lifetime.” We all cheered on that note. “Now I want to introduce everyone to a new student. She’s one of 45 new seniors in our school, and already she has on a school jersey. Give a warm Cyborg welcome to Miss Monique Williams.” The class gave her a hand, but the four of us barked real loud. “Fellas, I said give her a welcome, not a holler.” She stated.
“Sorry, that’s how we do it on da court.” I said.
“And on da field.” C-Lo added.
“Well, we’re in the classroom.” Ms. Tickle stated.
“Sorry, we tend to forget that, ma’am.” Will said.
“Uh huh, trust me, I realized that. Anyway, what was I sayin…oh yes. I need someone that is willing to take a few moments out their busy schedule to show Miss Williams around.” Almost everyone had his or her hands raised. “Wow, how can I choose?” I then made my move. I stood up.
“Ms. Tickle, may I point out that these fellas here will no doubt show Ms. Williams around, but they would harass her and try to get her “digits”.” I said, acting as proper as humanly possible. Yes, I really did do the hand gestures for quotes. Believable for most. The guys were tryin to hold in their laughter. “I assure you, if you let me show this lovely, young lady around, I guarantee she will not have a problem getting around this school and I won’t harass her.”
“You hold a strong argument, Mr. Johnson. I leave her in your hands.” I smiled and bowed.
It usually requires more convincing when it comes to volunteering for things like this. She knows what I’m about. But I’ve always wondered why she gave in so fast. Maybe she saw the same things that I did.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Late Night Senses

Intertwined (Poem)

Wait (Poem)