Stories and Poems

The Owner of My Soul: Vol 4 - Preview


CHAPTER 1

AFTER SILK’S DEATH

I watched the ambulance leave as the crime scene was being quarantined. I zoned out during the initial process of cops arriving, taking pictures and doing the whole “cop thing”. I didn’t really snap back until I saw EMTs placing Silk’s lifeless body in a body bag. Investigators and Detectives approached me, but I wasn’t in the mood to talk. Scratch that, it wasn’t that I wasn’t in the mood; I literally couldn’t formulate a proper sentence. I was in shock. They quickly realized that I was in no condition to answer questions, so they left me with contact info for me to utilize when I finally could speak.
I finally managed to get into my car and leave her place. I didn’t know where I was going to go at first as I started driving. There was no way I could go home right now. I didn’t expect to feel so distraught; never realizing my own admiration for her. Why didn’t I realize it before? No sense in dwelling on it now. For now, I need to clear my head.
Before I even realized it, I was downtown, parked in my parking space at Johnson Corp. I get out the car, pop the trunk and grab a bottle of Black Struggles – an Afro American whiskey. I walk to the elevator and call for it. The door opens, and I press the button for the roof, holding my thumb on the button so it can scan my print. The doors close and it starts heading up. I look out at the city as I begin to remember the times I spent with Silk.
The elevator doors open and I walk off the elevator. Few steps onto the rooftop, I see Alisa and Sydney, both wearing beautiful, black gowns, necklaces, diamond earrings, gold bracelets…. Just a lot of jewelry. They looked like I was supposed to take em out somewhere. Shit, am I forgetting an occasion? As much as I was happy to see them, I was too surprised to appreciate it.
“What are y’all doin here?” I asked, proving how much my surprise overtook my appreciation.
“Miss Natasha called me.” Alisa replied. “She told me what happened and felt that we should try to comfort you.”
“As much as we thought you would prefer to be alone,” Sydney began, “we felt that you should talk to us.” As if they were twins, they turn sideways towards each other, hold out their hands and smile. “Please, Kenny, tell us about Silkellia.”
“We want to know everything about her and share your grief.” Alisa added. I looked at them, unable to hold back the tears that were forming. I walked towards them and hugged them; Alisa on my left, Sydney on my right, as my knees kissed the ground and my head rested against their hips.
After a few minutes of that, we sat at the table they set up. They provided the glasses, I had the bottle, pouring everyone a drink. First, I took a couple shots to get the mind to calm down.
“I really don’t know where to start.” I said softly. “I mean, I didn’t know I felt this way until I saw her tonight and she told me she was pregnant.” Yep, just confessed there. No reaction from either lady… that’s false, more like a real sense of sadness was expressed on their faces.
“What was she like?” Alisa wondered.
“When I met her, I thought she was like every other stereotypical stripper. Then one night, when I didn’t really feel like being touched, I ended up just paying for her time.”
“When was this?” Sydney asked.
“I think when I was going through my bullshit with Monique after I got shot.” I wasn’t really sure about that, so I thought about it more as I sipped my drink. “Well, not right after but some time afterwards. I was confused, lost, and just all around not myself. I found myself alone in her club, staring aimlessly at the stage. She approached me, sat down next to me and just looked at me. I don’t know how long she was sitting there or why, but she must have been watching me for a few minutes.”
“She didn’t say anything?” Alisa wondered.
“Not a word.” I replied. “I think she was a little surprised about me not even acknowledging her presence. If I was to guess, I think she decided to wait a minute or two to see if I’d acknowledge her and if I didn’t then there was something completely wrong with me.” I take a sip of my drink. “That’s when she grabbed one of the waitresses to order us some drinks. She placed one in front of me and the sound of the ice clinking in the glass snapped me out of my trance.”
“Such an alcoholic.” Sydney said as she shook her head, drawing a slight chuckle from me and Alisa.
“There’s nothing I can say to defend that.” I looked at my drink as I continued remembering that night. “When I snapped out of that trance and looked at her, she had a big smile on her face.

FLASHBACK

I had a confused look as I look at her with this big smile on her face. She looks back at me and holds her hand out.
“Silkelia.” She introduces herself. “But you can call me Silk if that’s too difficult to say.”
“Kenny.” I introduce myself, shaking her hand. “Silkelia is a beautiful name.”
“Thank you. I’m glad you can still dish out compliments considering your state of mind.”
“My state of mind?”
“You were really out of it there. I’ve been sitting here watching you for about 5-minutes and you didn’t acknowledge me at all.” She explains.
“I can’t deny that I’m a bit out of it.” I admit. I grab the glass that was in front of me and start drinking. I actually thought I ordered this drink, which is why I comfortably drank it. “I appreciate your concern but I’ll be fine.”
“Is that your way of getting rid of me?” She bluntly asked. I look at her and gently smile.
“Yes, it’s my nice way.” She has a look of shock on her face as she wasn’t expecting me to say that……then she started laughing.
“Come on, let’s go to the Boom Boom Room.” She stands up, takes my hand and pulls me up to follow her. I didn’t want to really go but I guess my body did.
We get to the Boom Boom Room and she pushes me onto the couch. She sits next to me, pours me another drink and hands me a blunt. That’s right, you can only smoke in the Boom Boom Room. Did she bring me here knowing that I needed it?
“I’ve been working here for about 6-months,” she began, “and I heard stories about you and Will being regulars at this club. I waited 6-months to see if that was true and every time y’all are here, I’m not on the schedule that night. I come here the next night and get told a hundred and one stories about the fun and money that y’all provided. My God, did it piss me off.” She takes a couple hits of the blunt and passes it back to me. “So, imagine my surprise when I finally see you and then imagine my disappointment when I see you.”
“I don’t think I need to imagine it at all.” I reply as I sip my drink while handing the blunt back to her.
“The stories about you are endless. You treat everyone with respect, sometimes acting like bouncers whenever guys get too rowdy with the ladies. You tip everyone well, constantly throwing out stacks to the performers. I don’t know all the details of what’s going on in your life but as someone that managed to survive what you just survived, I thought you’d be more lively.” She paused as if she realized something. She starts nodding. “That’s right, you did just break up with your fiancé.”
“Oh, so you know about that?” I rhetorically ask as she hands the blunt back to me.
“To be honest, I know the guy that was…” She stops, unsure if she should say it.
“The guy that’s been fuckin her…” I finished for her. I had no real emotion behind those words, since I was essentially over it all, but my heart had a different feeling.
“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to…”
“It’s fine, I assure you. I’ve already come to peace with it.” I sip my drink and sorta stare off in the distance. “When I look back at my life, it’ll be quite a shock when I realize how much of a fake I’ve been this whole time.”
“What do you mean?” She asked in complete confusion.
“I put on the persona that I didn’t care about love, didn’t want to be in love but when it really comes down to it, I’ve been in love my whole life. Meeting and being with Monique was me at my most vulnerable state, something I can’t quite come to grips with.”
“You’ve been in love your whole life, huh… Childhood friend?” I nod in reply.
“Sydney and I were always together and when she left, part of my heart went with her. When I met Alisa, that void was filled and even expanded. I made the mistake of never completely locking her down, kept playing the playboy role so when she left, we slightly drifted apart. I hated myself for letting things get to that level and was in full regret mode. Then Monique appeared with her own charm and charisma. I was easily moved by her, easily swayed by her because I was already a former shell of myself when I met her.” I pause and realize everything that I just said. “Why the hell did I just say all of that?” I look at my glass, take another sip and go wide-eyed. “Is this Loose Lips?!”
“I’m sorry,” she laughs, “you looked like you needed to get some things off your chest.” I was in a slight bit of disbelief at the sheer audacity she had to force me to spill my guts, but I couldn’t help but respect her tenacity. I smile and shake my head.
“You’re quite the risk taker.” I say as I take another sip.
“Well, it was the best way I could think of to make an interesting first impression.” She replies with a smile. I chuckle and take another sip. “I don’t know what led you here tonight but I’m thankful that you’re here. I was finally able to meet you.” I wonder if she’s disappointed in the fact that I’m not throwing money at her right now. “Needless to say, I’ve been a big fan of yours for a long time. Being alone with you, even if it’s in this place, is still a dream come true. To see you so down, I felt like I needed to do something to get you back to your normal self.”
“Why do you work here? I feel like you should be a Psychologist or something.” I bluntly say.
“It’s funny you say that. I’m in school for my doctorate in psychology.” She chuckles. “I’m here because it’s the only thing I have time for that can bring me the most money to maintain my lifestyle. I work 10-hours a week and bring home 5-figures a week. I don’t think I could get a normal job that will come close to that.” I was in a bit of shock after hearing that. “Just so you know, I don’t prostitute myself. Everything I do is strictly as a dancer: on stage, table, private, lap… I allow minimal touching but that’s it. Sure, money has been thrown at me for sex, but it would be against everything I stand for. The other girls don’t mind doing it and I don’t judge them at all; do what you wanna do. I just can’t let anyone get inside me though. Even celebrities, athletes, politicians… you name it, I’ve declined them all.”
“Very respectable. Seems like the Loose Lips is sinking you as well.” I chuckle, drawing a laugh from her.
“Maybe a little.” She admits. “I tell you all of that because I don’t want you to think that I wanted to meet you for your money or for sex because I don’t have interest in either. I wanted to meet you because you’re Kenny Johnson; a multi-talented juggernaut that only comes around once in a thousand years. I wanted to make an impression so I could be impactful to someone that is probably the most impactful human being since Jesus Christ.” She laughs, drawing a chuckle from me. “In all seriousness, as rare and unique as you are, you’re also very human. You’re not immune to human problems such as love and regret. The fact that you’ve been able to realize all of this isn’t something to be ashamed of. In fact, it should encourage you and awaken you from the nightmare of believing you were a cold, heartless playboy. You’ve been on a journey ever since Sydney left you. When the fork in the road comes up and you have to choose between the married life and single life, you’ll know which one you’ll want to do.”
“Ha, that’s not the fork that I’ll have to deal with.” I laugh. “My fork is going to be whether I choose Sydney or Alisa.” I kill the rest of my drink. “Both have come back into my life and both are willing to not make me choose. That’s something that I couldn’t do, even if I wanted to because I love them both equally. They each give me something that I’m missing. I only feel complete when I have both of them, so I can’t choose. It’s literally impossible for me to.” I started to bring my glass to my lips but remember that I already killed it, so I put my arm back down.
“Let me order you another drink, baby.” Silk offers. She grabs a tablet that was on the end table and starts ordering us more drinks. “I’ll order us some wings as well.”
“You’re too kind.” I tell her.
“Honestly, this is just a formality. I ordered this a while ago and just told the waitress to bring it.” She laughed. Her laugh is getting cuter. I know it’s not the alcohol, I think I’m just really starting to notice her laughing more. The waitress brings in a tray with wings, fries, a bottle of Loose Lips, a bucket of ice and two new glasses. She sets it on the coffee table that was in front of us and looks at me.
“Glad to see you smiling again, Kenny.” She says with a smile.
“Always a pleasure seeing you smile, Jazz.” I tell her.
“If you’re feeling a little better now, can I have my hug?” I smile, stand up and hug her tightly.
“Apologies. I’ll let you cry on my shoulder later, okay?” I softly say in her ear.
“Thank you. I’ll be waiting.”
I kiss her cheek before I stop hugging her. I wipe the stray tear from her smiling face and smile at her. She bows and leaves the room with me watching her. I sit back down and start realizing the overall point Silkelia was making.
“I’m guessing you’re the one that’s responsible for her recovery?” Silk wondered.
“I can’t say that. She helped herself, I just assisted.” I reply as I grab a few fries.
“That’s being a bit modest. She wouldn’t be here if you didn’t do what you did.”
“Hard to say. I’m glad she relied on me though.” I say as I grab more fries.
“Are you responsible for catching the guys as well?” I don’t say anything but continue eating. “You’re an incredible man.” She says as she joins me in eating.

We finish eating and continue drinking. At this point, the mood has completely changed as I was somewhat back to my normal self. We spent a solid 4-hours in that VIP room just talking and laughing. With an hour left before the club was closing, she grabs the tablet and starts going through songs.
“I want to dance for you.” She says, prompting her to realize what song she wants to play. You guessed it – Beyoncé.
“Are you sure you’re not too drunk?” I joke, making her laugh.
“I’m not sure at all. If I fall, I hope you’ll catch me.”
“I make no promises. My drunk ass might end up just falling on top of you.” We both laugh as she stands up. She takes off her high heels as the song starts to play.
“This should prevent me from falling at least. I’ll also feel more like a belly dancer.”
As she says that, she starts swaying her hips and I quickly realized how she makes so much money. Her movements were seductive, sexual but artful. She danced with such enchantment that I couldn’t really move. I was mesmerized, turned on and speechless. She approaches me for the first time and gives me a lap dance that was as equally as enchanting. I couldn’t move as the scent of her deepened my trance. She was still in just a bra and thong as she grinded on me; grabbing my hands to place them on her hips. With my hands moving with her hips, I was even more enchanted. The Seductive Sorceress had me around her finger, drinking in her performance and ready to give her my soul. She turns around and leans back on me, slithering as she grinded on me. She takes my hands and guides em all over her body. I’m not even sure when her bra came off, but she took my hands and placed them on her breasts, encouraging me to squeeze them. She lets out a very soft and gentle moan that was like nothing I’ve heard before. She takes my left hand and guides it down to her clit, encouraging me to play with it a little bit which I oblige. The soft, gentle moans continue. I could no longer restrain myself as I turn my head towards her and start kissing her, which she was waiting on. I…

PRESENT:

“My bad, you get the idea.” I concluded. “Even though part of me was skeptical of what she said about never doing anything like that with anybody at that club, I knew she wasn’t lying. Loose Lips always sinks ships. Even if she wanted to lie to me, it wasn’t going to happen without it being extremely noticeable.” I kill my drink and pour myself some more. “She refused to take any money from me that night. The tab, the dance… everything was on her. It was weird and it bugged me for a while until I realized that’s how she wanted to show that she’s not after my money. After that night, I made it a point to go to that club on nights that she was there as often as possible. I only saw her dance a handful of times because it’s fuckin dangerous.” Sydney and Alisa laugh as I chuckle about that. “We didn’t have sex often because we didn’t really have that kind of relationship. We were really good friends, comparable to me and Yvonne. But whenever she dances, we were fuckin.” We laughed again. “So, it was easy to pinpoint when I got her pregnant and it was quite surprising that it didn’t happen earlier.”
“When you were starting to see her regularly, was she still not taking your money?” Sydney wondered.
“Pretty much but it was killing me, so we made other arrangements. I paid her tuition, bought her lavish gifts and other things like that. I never gave her money at the club. She ended up only working there for fun and exercise because she no longer needed money. She started to look more towards management and putting her degree to use in a way that would help the other dancers deal with working that kind of profession.”
“I’ve always wondered this,” Alisa began, “I didn’t ask because I didn’t want to get in your shit like that, but you showed me your bank statement once and had $3 million transferred to an account that wasn’t yours or a family member’s. Was it to her?” I nod.
“You could have asked me then, I have nothing to hide from you.” I tell her. “I’m not going to keep secrets from you two. I gave her that money as a bonus after I bought the club. I gave smaller amounts to the other girls and employees, but I felt indebted to her, so I gave her more than she ever wanted. I had it transferred directly to her account so she couldn’t decline accepting it.” I sip my drink.
“Not to change the subject but I’m curious about the waitress. Jazz, right?” Sydney said.
“Yeah, Jazz. Her name is Jasmine Orlin. She used to be a stripper at that club before becoming a waitress. She was very popular, had dozens of regulars. A couple of those regulars followed her home one night, raped her and damn near beat her to death. It was all in front of her 7-year old daughter, who they ended up raping as well.” Sydney and Alisa both gasped and covered their mouths, almost on the verge of tears. “Jasmine was hospitalized, in and out of consciousness for 2-weeks and her daughter ended up dying a day before she fully woke. It was a heartbreaking incident cuz not only did she lose her daughter but she lost her ability to bear children. While she can physically do it, thanks to the reconstructive surgery, the mental and emotional trauma has prevented her body from producing eggs. She was extremely suicidal, I mean. of course she would be after all of that. I visited her every day and was there when her daughter died. I did as much as I could to help her recover. She didn’t want to work at the club anymore, but it was the only place she felt safe and supported. It was in her best interest to no longer be a dancer, so she started waitressing. Whenever I was there, she’d be my exclusive waitress for my VIP room. Every time I saw her, I’d give her a big hug, tell her that I was there for her and she’d cry on my shoulder. After that, she’d carry on like life was great.” I started to smile. “She actually texted me the other day and told me that the doctor has confirmed her eggs are being produced again and she wants me to be either a donor for invitro or for us to do it the normal way.” I start realizing what Silk was saying, yet again.
“You’re such an amazing man.” Alisa says. “You make such a powerful impact on everyone you meet.”
“We’re so lucky to be the ones you choose to spend the rest of your life with.” Sydney adds and Alisa nods in agreement. Sydney takes Alisa’s hand and then takes my hand. “I truly am sorry for your loss. She seemed like a really nice person that we would have loved to meet.” Alisa takes my other hand.
“We don’t want you to ever feel like you’re dealing with anything alone. Although we didn’t know her, you’re not the only one that loss her. We’re feeling the loss as well because we share your pain and grief. We are that connected.” Sydney nods in agreement. I tighten my grip on their hands as I latched onto their comforting.
“I appreciate both of you. As lucky as y’all may feel, it’s nothing compared to how lucky I feel to have both of you by my side.” I say as tears stream down my face. “I don’t deserve y’all.”
“We deserve each other!” They both yell at me, making me jump a little.
“You’re not the only one benefiting from this.” Alisa states. She looks at Sydney. “Sydney is my inspiration when it comes to a lot of things and has been extremely helpful in my success as a businesswoman and as a woman overall. Without her, I don’t think I’d be as strong as I feel I am.”
“And Alisa has done the same for me. I need her just as much as I need you.” Sydney says as she looks at me, smiles at Alisa and then looks at me again. “I love this woman for everything that she’s done for me and you. I assure you, we wouldn’t want to be anywhere else. We belong together; all of us.” Alisa nods in agreement.
I look at them, appreciating them even more. I smile and then start to chuckle as I was becoming more blown away by their words. I let go of Sydney’s hand to take a sip of my drink. I hold the glass close to my lips as I savor the taste and then take another sip. I repeat this two more times before setting my glass down. In the process, my ladies took sips of their own drinks. When I sat my glass down, I took a deep breath and took hold of their hands again.
“I strongly believe that GP was responsible for this in some way. What should I do about that?” I asked them. They look at each other and then back at me.
“Destroy him.” Sydney replies. I raise my left eye brow out of intrigue and surprise.
“He doesn’t deserve a quick death. Hit him where it hurts the most.” Alisa added. I nod in agreement, quickly realizing what I should do.
“I will need the help from both of you.” I say as I look at them.
“We would expect no less.” Sydney says. I smile and take their hands.
“I really appreciate the both of you.” I express, almost with tears. “I’m okay now. How are you two doing?” I inquired. They look at each other to see who would talk first. Sydney smiled and nodded, prompting Alisa to speak first.
“Well, there’s no easy way to say this so I’m just going to say it. We’re not really here, baby…” Alisa stated. I looked at her, confused as all hell.
“What do you mean?” I asked.
“This is a dream.” Sydney replied. I looked at her and then at Alisa……… and then at my living room ceiling.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Late Night Senses

Intertwined (Poem)

Wait (Poem)